September 17th, 1996: The Wedding!
September 17th, 2008: The 12th Anniversary somewhat buried in your average work and school day, but no less happy. No babysitter available for a date night in the entire population of Ashton. (Girls Volleyball it seems) However, we couldn't be happier and neither of us can believe all that time has passed so fast! We keep saying we had no idea things would just keep getting better over time.
Some things I remember about THE BIG DAY:
Rain, Rain, Rain! There had been almost 2 straight weeks of RAIN, and that day was no exception. But, after the ceremony, and pictures at the temple in SLC, and the wedding dinner (at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building), the sunshine broke through the clouds for an amazing sunset. It smelled like rain and was amazingly romantic. Right up until we got into the get-away car and realized there was a dead fish hanging from the rear-view mirror. ("Friends" of the Groom).
The ceremony is a blur in my mind except for a couple things: the unmistakable feeling my heart would burst out of my chest, knowing that I had made the right decision about Steve. I can't describe it except to say it was intensely joyful. (I hope no one who was there remembers the embarrassing squeaky choking sound I made at that moment).
Another thing: those exceptionally blue eyes looking into my soul over the altar. I'll never forget it. It was like a bear hug projected into forever.
I also remember trying to avoid making eye-contact with my dad who was one of the witnesses across the room. He welled up every time, and I was only trying to spare him the emotion but now I wish I had done it anyway, just to have one more memory of him. He had been like that for 3 solid weeks, getting 'misty' every time he'd look at me as we passed in the hall or wherever. I thought it was cute/endearing at the time but didn't understand. Now, having an only daughter and imagining her getting married at 20 (I was SO YOUNG!) I can understand how he felt.
The flowers were a disaster, delivered late and not what I'd ordered. I surprised myself by not caring one bit about it.
No one ate any wedding cake, which had not been the plan. I guess the dinner guests were happy with their cheesecake.
I'll skip over the wedding night for obvious reasons (!) and just say that we were not thinking when we scheduled our flight to San Diego for 8:00 the next morning.
It was a great day of course; it's funny I've never written anything about it until now. I LOVE MY HUSBAND and feel lucky every day of my life to have found him and married him. Happy Anniversary to US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4 comments:
What a cute story! It's so great getting to know you through your blog! :)
Kate,
Happy Anniversary, I know what you mean about being sure you married the right man. I feel the same way about Graham. It is great when your married to your best friend it makes the journey through life all the more enjoyable. Your both great for each other. Graham and I enjoyed the visit with you and Steve,can't wait to see you guys again.
Amber
Katie! I am so glad you started a blog. Congrats on your 12 years of bliss!! Can't wait to be your new sister.
HA! I get to watch you guys be married the whole way along! Ain't no gettin' rid of your sis, sis! I am SO GLAD you decided to marry my little brother. He's a great catch, and he would have totally blown it if he'd bypassed you. Not that there was any risk. He was smitten. Google-eyed. Ga-ga. Etc. :-) Love you!
Amy
Post a Comment