Today I am thankful for the internet. I am sure lots of people feel the same: I don't know how I ever did anything without it! We rely on it for all kinds of stuff: news, TV, banking, music, schoolwork, work emails, keeping in touch with family and friends that are far away, looking up recipes, book reviews etc... grocery shopping, book/curriculum shopping, Christmas and Birthday shopping; weather reports, scouts, movies, local current events, etc, etc, etc....
Good old technology. My kids think it's weird that we didn't have a way to watch movies at home growing up. (No VCR). We had a black and white T.V. and we ordered pizza for the first time when I was 10. But it was not til I was 15 that we got a cordless phone! The kids laugh when we describe our ATARI and our dot-matrix printer. We didn't have cell phones and thought answering machines were silly. (They can just call back!) I had a pager in college, which was WAY COOL; Also in college I took Technical Writing 350, where our big assignment for the quarter was to open an email account and submit 1 assignment using it. (Everyone was Freaking Out about it--so complicated!) I started college the year after they finished transitioning the typewriter lab to computers. I had a Sony Walkman cassette player all through highschool that I would play songs I recorded from my 1 CD-player boom box. And when Steve and I got married, we got the best movie player around: a stereo 4-head VCR. We thought Hollywood video was going to go out of business when they started renting DVD's, since NOBODY owned a DVD player.
Oh well, I'm REALLY thankful for internet now that I think of all that. Although now I feel really OLD, too.
2 comments:
Haha... This post makes me laugh!
Well that's nuthin, when I wuz a kid, we had to type with a rock. We typed messages on another big rock. Messages like, Umpga got ate by a dino. Ooopsie.
Gpa Duckless
Post a Comment